Go Back   Game-Veteran - A PC Multiplayer Gaming Community > Game Veteran Community Forums > Website News / Updates
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar New Posts Experience

Share This Forum!  

Reply Post New Thread 

Old 22-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Monster Monster
Points: 82,430, Level: 100 Points: 82,430, Level: 100 Points: 82,430, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99.9%
Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9%

Tournaments Joined: 2
Tournaments Won: 0
Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3
Wobbly is still learning basic gaming skills
Send a message via Steam to Wobbly
Default Plans

Lads,

I am looking to revamp game veteran to try and get us going again with regular gaming nights and LAN Parties every 3-4 months.

What I would like to do is update the vbulletin software to connect 5 which is currently $209.

This will allow us to be more secure and will also allow us to have more fuctionality like member blogs and suck like.

I would also like more people to help run the site rather than relying on a single person to come up with ideas.

I would also like to have people posting regular game news and events to help boost our membership.

I would also like to bin a load of stuff to concentrate on PC which is where our community lies.

Your thoughts please?

Last Achievements
Old 22-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Administrator
Points: 8,287, Level: 61 Points: 8,287, Level: 61 Points: 8,287, Level: 61
Level up: 46%, 163 Points needed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tournaments Joined: 0
Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
habu606 is still learning basic gaming skills
Send a message via Steam to habu606

sounds good if it gets us all playing dude.
Last Achievements
Old 22-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Also i think if we needed to do a fund raiser a LAN could be a good option. I dont mind not having trophies and prizes if its for the benefit of the community.
Last Achievements
Old 22-09-2014, 11:11 PM
G-Vet Forum Member
Points: 1,997, Level: 26 Points: 1,997, Level: 26 Points: 1,997, Level: 26
Level up: 97%, 3 Points needed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 1
Deviousfurball is a noob of the finest order

We are a PC community pretty much, so yeah. Stripping away the unused console areas would be a start. Replacing them with twitter/developer feeds and bloggers would be another good content boost.

Having others to help with the running of the community areas will require roles to be organised. Like Site/Web admin, Clan Admin, Moderator etc. The people in these areas will need to know their areas of responsibility

Having activities is great, but some members are concerned about the community having too many games. There was a discussion about a game-night where people complained about bringing new games into the community and further thinning the games we play together. This is a fair comment, but their concerns were misguided. Game-night and other events are just about getting us together to try a new game that perhaps we wouldn't play otherwise, and having fun doing something other than the usual. Although I do understand the concerns about the community becoming individual game focused. Eg: A group that only plays one particular game and not really anything else. But that was what game night was supposed to resolve.

Boosting membership. Normally this would be done through the output of content or advertising. How can people join if they don't know we exist? I found this community through a google search but I think I may be a minority. The most obvious route is youtube videos, with commentary/conversation. If people see videos of people having fun, they want to be involved in that fun and have those kind of laughs. The most popular game youtubers do it through having fun in their videos so people enjoy watching and want to join in. There are other methods, but this is easily achievable.

The only thing I can say about the lan parties is that they are great, but it's hell for northerners to get there. I'll blow 50-70 quid in fuel alone, I just can't afford that right now
Lan relocation wouldn't work either because of increasing the distance for the current lan go-ers. Perhaps a larger annual lan at a more central location... Long story short, keep it as it is because there is no way to please the whole community with this.

Things like this could be discussed among the senior/responsible members over TS with a meeting. Perhaps a monthly admin meeting? If this is serious, there needs to be some structure and ownership.

On the subject of Teamspeak you may have noticed me on rarely. That is because I simply stopped using it and created my own because of it's stability issues. At one time it was suffering failures every 10 minutes or so, it was driving me potty. I don't know if those issues have been rectified but if you want to use TS it needs to be stable, 365 stable too, not just whenever the hosts please.
I am still very active gaming wise, I just stopped using the clan TS because it's unreliable.
Last Achievements

Last edited by Deviousfurball; 22-09-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 22-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Monster Monster
Points: 82,430, Level: 100 Points: 82,430, Level: 100 Points: 82,430, Level: 100

Its been very stable recently Steve

Last Achievements
Old 23-09-2014, 07:18 AM
G-Vet Member
Points: 7,365, Level: 57 Points: 7,365, Level: 57 Points: 7,365, Level: 57
Level up: 8%, 185 Points needed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

PlasmaGsus is a noob of the finest order

I am willing to help in what ever is needed.

Game nights, yeah i enjoy those. The major problem getting lot of us together is the games we play. The ideal situation would be that there was one or two games a lot of us played anyway and then we would just get together on them from time to time. The current situation is that the interests seem to be very different and it's hard to get people to join whatever game the gaming night is planned on. We used to have over ten people playing COD4 or BF3 on daily basis, so it was easier to get people together for one night. Now DayZ is getting very popular amongst many of us but i see that it just doesn't appeal to some and so the participation stays very thin. So it's either people join in and play games for one night just for the community's sake, or then we might just have to have sort of branches who arrange gaming nights based on their games and interests. Both work for me. I'd join gaming nights based on some not-so-interesting games every now and then, but i'd like to also have game nights of the games we love to play atm. That's what we're trying to do. I will try to get some poster done on our DayZ events in the future and hopefully we get some new people to try it out.

As i don't live in the UK, things like LAN events and such are ofcourse better to be organized by just you guys. Ofcourse if i can help in any way on those (or praticipate some day) it'll be great.

I've recently set up to capture gameplay on my PC and trying to get myself to post some youtube videos. Just having some self esteem things to get over. Engrish and all that

But videos would be good for promotional purposes if you just put GVET tags, intros or whatever in the video and in the description.

Also we got a DayZ server and we will use it to promote GVET. It's branded as such atm and there will be server messages also. Just having some issues to get them show up properly.

I will donate towards the costs if the website need to be renewed. What i think is that we have to plan some "marketing campaign" to get people to chip in. I will help with that. If we cannot get $200 together as a community, we really have to rethink things as a whole. I don't think this community should be put to sleep but maybe we would have to start thinking of it as a new community, a fresh start. To give it a solid base to build on. And to accept that even tho it has a great history, it means nothing at this situation and we need to do things all over.

Just a few thoughts. Can't get my thoughts together any better and i have to get to work. I'll get back to this later
Last Achievements
Old 23-09-2014, 07:50 AM
G-Vet Member
Points: 5,935, Level: 49 Points: 5,935, Level: 49 Points: 5,935, Level: 49
Level up: 93%, 15 Points needed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

normski7a is a noob of the finest order

Some of the points made are good. A particular one for me is number of games. When Grid Autosport came out Andy was saying how good it is and I should get it. 2 weeks later I buy it and no one plays it. Not moaning at Andy as I love the game anyway. But thus isn't the first time I have bought something to play with th community and never have. This is one of the main reasons I have not bought DayZ.

Hopefully things will improve, I used to love BF3/4 with a big group.
Old 23-09-2014, 08:05 PM
G-Vet Forum Member
Points: 1,997, Level: 26 Points: 1,997, Level: 26 Points: 1,997, Level: 26
Level up: 97%, 3 Points needed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%

Uploads: 1
Deviousfurball is a noob of the finest order

Wow. just spent 30 mins writing out war and peace on this subject and the site lost all my text just because I went to quote someone.

I hereby donate all my worldly possessions, to get this crappy software changed.

I'll be sulking in teamspeak if anyone wants to laugh at the time I just wasted
Last Achievements
Old 23-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Administrator

seems to me ppl feel strongly enough about this. lets get started!!!!!!!
Last Achievements
Old 23-09-2014, 11:21 PM
Monster Monster

Norm, That's the type of thing we can do with the gaming nights, have a Grid Autosport night etc.

What I would like to do is get a fund raiser going to raise the $209 to upgrade the forum. We will need to talk to Kestrel on this to see if our server hosting is okay prior to paying out a lot of money to bring the site up to scratch.

Last Achievements